Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Sour Mood

It is America's birthday, but I don't feel much like celebrating. I love America... don't ever think that I don't; but there are a lot of things I would like to change about my homeland.

I think what started me off in a sour mood today was learning that the local, annual fireworks show has been canceled this year. Not just in my hometown, but about 5 of the surrounding towns that usually have a fireworks shows. They have all cancelled for various reasons.

My hometown said that they could put on a show, but that the show would probably be pretty mediocre, and that if we saved the money from this year until next year we could put on a grand fireworks show next year. You'll have to excuse me if I don't buy that story. My hometown has more money than the know what to do with. They spend money like it is going out of style and still have more than they know what to do with. They could lower taxes and spend less, but that would be un-American, I suppose.

I'm not so upset about the local fireworks show being cancelled as I am about the fact that it is illegal to go out and buy your own fireworks and set them off. The whole reason little towns put on fireworks shows is because most states make it illegal for citizens to set off fireworks. The rationale is, "you don't need to set off fireworks because we will put on a show that is better than you could afford, and safer for everyone."

When the government lets us down, though, we have no self help remedy. We are not allowed to exercise the right to purchase and set off fireworks because at some point, scores of years ago, the government at the time decided that fireworks were too dangerous for the public. So on the day we celebrate freedom and independence, we are not free to go out and buy fireworks because the Nannystate said, "No." But at least we are independent, right? No taxation without representation, right? Except that most of the laws on the books are very, very old, and that no-one currently living was alive when many of the laws that restrict our personal freedoms were enacted.

For instance, it is illegal to gamble in my state. This is a free state in a free country, but we are not free to gamble... Why? Because the Nanny State said no. You see, we are all stupid children and we need the Nanny State to protect us from our own freedom. So we enact laws which are very difficult to change, which perhaps represent a small majority at some outdated time in history, and which are designed to protect us from ourselves.

This is America. A free country... but are we free to pray in school? Can we bear arms in the same way as our foundering fathers? Can we gamble or set off fireworks? Is what we consume an individual right that does not deserve the oversight of the FDA? Can we own property without fear of the government taking it from us? Can we purchase goods which are not taxed multiple times? Can we work without are labor and the fruit of our labor being taxed?

Does anyone honestly believe that the IRS would be in existence if all Americans had a say in the matter? If it came down to a vote in which every American had a say, would there be an IRS? How about this illegal immigration problem? Would it be a problem if Americans were actually allowed to protect their homeland?

I am just in a sour, sour, mood. I'd try to have fun, but it seems no matter what I'd like to do, there is a good chance that the Nanny State will be looking over my shoulder telling me something is verboten.

I just don't feel like celebrating today. What would make me happier to be an American is if there was less government, less restriction, and more rights for my fellow Americans. Then I would celebrate.

God Bless America, right?

1 comment:

fabulinus said...

Lest anyone think any different, I think America is perhaps the greatest civilization in recorded history, I just think we could be a lot better.