Wednesday, June 6, 2007

"Homegrown" Terror: The Thwarted JFK Pipeline Attack

There has been something bugging me about this story and I know I am not the first to bring this up, but the following line seems inextricably linked to the reporting on the JFK terror bust:

Authorities said the JFK scheme was an example of homegrown terrorism.

Homegrown terrorism. When I think of that, I think of Timothy McVeigh. The guy was born and raised in America. He wasn't linked (that I am aware of) to international organizations. Homegrown in that context makes sense to me.

Apparently the press thinks of anyone with US citizenship of being homegrown:
Russell Defreitas, a U.S. citizen and native of Guyana...

How is it that a foreigner who moves to this country with a deep hatred of America and dreams of causing death and destruction herein is best qualified as "homegrown?"

Moreover, I read in one article that the plot was devised 10 YEARS ago!!! A decade is a fairly significant amount of time; particularly when put into the context of terrorism. This plot was dreamed up years before 9/11. This was long before the US began it's global War on Terror.

So once again, I ask: How exactly is this properly categorized as "homegrown" terror as opposed to, oh I don't know, a "sleeper" cell?

The man came to America hating America. He planed for over a decade to cause massive death and carnage. Isn't this what we were most concerned with after 9/11? Possible sleeper cells, radical extremists laying in wait. Isn't this exactly what these terrorists represent?

No comments: