Saturday, March 3, 2007

A Perfect Contradiction: I'm Officially Backing Rudy

I have made a decision with regard to the Republican candidate I am going to back throughout the primaries.

I have decided to back the highly electable, yet decidedly imperfect, Rudy Giuliani.

This was a tough decision. Ideally the Republicans could have a candidate who holds every single conservative platform, is a strong, effective, well spoken candidate, and who is universally loved. Since no candidate seems to fit that bill, I have decided to pick the candidate who I trust most on my number one issue (the war on terror).

Rudy has a stellar record to fall back on. Aside from his leadership after the attacks of 9/11, during his tenure as Mayor of NYC, he cut crime rates in half, cleaned up a dirty, dirty city, implemented policies which reduced dependence on welfare, cut taxes, turned a multi-billion dollar deficit into a multi-billion dollar surplus, and he accomplished all of this in a city where Democrats outnumbered Republicans 5 to 1.

There is no candidate that polls better than him in a head to head race. He is the Republican's best shot of retaining the White House in 08, and the best hope for continuing the war against Islamo-fascism (the war on terror).

The only other Republican candidate I really like is Newt Gingrich, but I'm not sure he can win. Right now he is polling in the single digits, nationally, and in head to head match ups with Democrats he doesn't look particularly strong. I think Newt would be a fine President, and if he gets the nomination I will certainly back him, but for now I am backing Rudy all the way to the White House.

No comments: